We often waste our time, choosing which body lotion may be best suited for our skin. We change various brands and use them without knowing their actual compositions.
But do you know? You can make your own body lotion with all the ingredients that are best suited for you!
This homemade body lotion is perfect to apply in the winter months and can also be used in the day time after being exposed in the sun for longer period of time. By using this body lotion you can find relief from dry and scratchy skin in areas, like knees, elbows, feet, and hands.
Here’s how you can make your own body lotion.
- Coconut oil
- Cocoa butter or Shea butter
- Essential oils
- Silicon molds or metal tins
Method for preparation:
1. Melt all the ingredients, without adding the essential oils in a double boiler or you can melt them by placing the ingredients in a glass bowl over a medium-size saucepan with water in it.
2. Bring the water to a boil until all the ingredients are melted.
3. Once all the ingredients are melted, remove the heat and let the mixture cool a bit and then add in the essential oils.
4. Stir them well until combined.
5. Pour this mixture into the metal tins or silicon molds.
6. Allow this lotion mixture to cool completely and then pop the hardened bars out of the molds.
7. You can store these lotion bars in an airtight container for up to one year.
Note: Store out of reach of direct sunlight and in a cool room. As above 75 degrees, the bars can melt and should be stored in the refrigerator.
Benefits you will get from the ingredients:
Coconut oil acts as a natural antibacterial, anti-fungal, and an excellent moisturizer for dry skin.
Cocoa butter is the fat which is taken from cocoa beans that smells extremely delicious. Cocoa butter helps to moisturize the skin and heals chapped and dry skin.
It also contains important anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. It forms a protective layer by sealing the moisture in the skin and prevents the clogging of pores.
Beeswax is used to keep the lotion bars in the desired shape.
Several essentials oils can do wonders for various skin imperfections as well as they contain many healing properties. They also impart great fragrances and are beneficial for our skin health.
So, this winter, come up with your own homemade body lotions and give your skin the nourishment from all these natural ingredients. Try this lotion and make it for your family and friends!
Watch this video for more ideas.